Call Today For a Free Initial Phone Consultation!
Robinson & Clapham - Employment Law Attorney
Providence: (401) 400-3841
Wakefield: (401) 594-4365

Providence Legal Issues Blog

What is an Individualized Education Plan?

Does your child have special educational needs? Does he or she suffer from some type of disability? If so, it's important to understand his or her rights in regards to education.

If your child is part of a special education program, he or she is entitled to an Individualized Education Plan (IEP). While you may have a clear idea of what's included in such a plan, your child's school may not be on the same page.

Who can be held responsible for an animal bite?

If you or a loved one is attacked by an animal, such as a dog, there are a few key steps you need to take.

To start, don't waste any time receiving medical attention. You need to understand your injuries and the type of treatment strategy that will allow you to reach your previous level of health.

Seek compensation for your motorcycle accident injuries

We often see motorcycles on Rhode Island streets, especially this time of year and throughout the summer. Whether you use a motorcycle as your regular form of transportation or just for the pure enjoyment of it, riding this type of vehicle is not without risks. Getting in an accident while riding a motorcycle can have serious physical, emotional and financial consequences.

If you have suffered injuries in a motorcycle collision, what can you do? Can you seek compensation? Who is liable for your injuries? At the end of the day, it all comes down to the cause of the crash.

Do you understand worker misclassification?

As a small business owner, it's important to understand how to properly classify employees. It only takes one mistake in this area of your business to find yourself in trouble with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and/or other agencies.

In short, you need to know the difference between an employee and independent contractor. As an employer, making a mistake with this can result in a serious penalty. Employees are also harmed by worker misclassification, as it may mean that a person does not qualify for benefits or unemployment if he or she loses his or her job.

Serving the needs of the educationally challenged

The federal government requires that all children -- including those with cognitive deficits -- receive equal access to education. This means that, for children with special educational needs, the local school districts must provide special services to meet those needs. The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) governs how the needs of these children must be met.

One of the most important parts of IDEA involves the creation of free and appropriate public education (FAPE) for children. If a student who is between 3 and 21 years of age has a disability that could impact his or her learning capacity, educators must create an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) for the student. The IEP will identify specific steps that must be carried out by teachers, the students and their parents for the purpose of achieving the identified educational goals of the child.

How can I know if I have a valid personal injury claim?

A car accident can suddenly interrupt and change your life, and the aftermath can be both overwhelming and frustrating. In the days and weeks to follow, you must decide how to move forward, and if you are seriously injured, how you will pay for the medical treatment that you require.

A personal injury claim is always a beneficial option for individuals who suffered because of the recklessness or negligence of another person, but how do you know if you have a valid case? The civil claims process is complex, and it is not always easily discerned who is at fault and liable for your pain and suffering.

Rhode Island House to vote on potential new driver ed program

The Rhode Island House of Representatives is set to vote on a new driver's education program that would require the parents of teenagers to take the course. The parents would be required to take the course prior to their teens hitting the roads of the state.

The course would be free of charge and offered both online or at the Community College of Rhode Island. Lawmakers hope the class would help parents become more involved in their teenager's driving habits and education.

Staffing company for employment commission sued

The United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has filed an age discrimination lawsuit against its own staffing company, Diverse Lynx. The company is based in Princeton, New Jersey, and operates as an IT staffing firm. The EEOC filed the suit because it claims the firm did not recommend an older applicant for a job because "age will matter."

According to the lawsuit filed by the EEOC, the staffing firm contacted an applicant not long after learning his date of birth, telling him he would not be referred for the job. The lawsuit states that the staffing firm sent an email to the applicant that said he was "born in 1945" and that "age will matter."

What car accident injuries can have lasting effects?

Car accidents are scary, stressful and costly. Even the most minor accidents can have lasting effects for all those involved. When the discussion centers around injuries, the lasting effects can be devastating. So, what car accident injuries can have lasting effects?

The most known and common car accident injury is whiplash. This occurs when the head and neck and thrown into sudden movement. This injury is typically found in rear-end collisions. Whiplash injuries can lead to neck ligament and muscle damage. Swelling and generalized neck pain are the common results of whiplash injuries. Whiplash can also cause temporary vocal cord paralysis. A whiplash injury can last for years, even a lifetime, for car accident victims.

${} - Employment Law Attorney

Providence Office
123 Dyer Street, Suite 135
Providence, RI 02903

Phone: 401-400-3841
Fax: 401-331-7888
Providence Law Office Map

Wakefield Office
24 Salt Pond Road, Suite A #8
Wakefield, RI 02879

Phone: 401-594-4365
Fax: 401-783-3670
Wakefield Law Office Map