Turning Problems Into Solutions

Legal Guidance In Matters Of Special Education Law

Providing for a child with special educational needs can be an overwhelming responsibility — especially without any outside help. At Robinson & Clapham, we can explain special education laws in Rhode Island and help you when dealing with the school system. With years of experience and a network of professionals, we can get you in touch with the right experts to help your child.

Understanding Basic Special Education Law

Students with learning disabilities and other special educational needs are protected by both state and federal laws that provide access to a free public education. Additionally, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) mandates that reasonable accommodations be provided for those with disabilities. By taking time to get to know your child and his or her specific needs, we can help you pursue the appropriate education your child needs. It’s also important to note that students with both intellectual and/or physical disabilities are protected by the law.

The Review Process

At the K-12 level, the school will determine whether your child qualifies for an Individualized Education Plan (IEP). As a parent, you have a right to give input on this plan. If, at any stage, you don’t feel that the school is accommodating your child as required by law, our team of lawyers can step in and help. If your child has completed elementary or high school, the right to reasonable accommodations continues at the secondary or college level in some circumstances.

How Our Lawyers Can Help

If you don’t believe that your child is getting the help he or she needs, we want to help you take meaningful action. Our attorneys can attend an IEP meeting with you, review whether the school is meeting its obligations and represent you during a due process hearing.

Contact Us And Ask Questions Regarding Your Child’s Special Education Needs

To schedule a consultation at our Providence or Wakefield law offices, call 401-661-8287 or 401-783-3600. You can also reach us via email by submitting an online contact form.