Turning Problems Into Solutions

Educating You About Your Child’s Special Education Rights

Nothing is more important to you than your child. If your child has special needs, you are likely to run into a challenging problem with their school system at some time or another. At Robinson & Clapham, we work with parents and students throughout Rhode Island to prevent and resolve difficulties relating to special education. On this page, we have tackled some of the common questions that prospective clients have for us about special education law.

What does the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) do for students who have special needs?

Under the ADA, schools – including nurseries, prekindergartens and schools of all grade levels – must provide reasonable accommodations for children who have disabilities that meet ADA requirements.

What are some examples of reasonable accommodations?

Some of the most commonly requested reasonable accommodations for students include:

  • An interpreter
  • Extended time for test-taking
  • Minimal distractions for test-taking
  • Priority seating in the class
  • Readers for tests and quizzes
  • Brail materials
  • Large print materials

These are just a few examples of the many accommodations available to facilitate learning.

Does the ADA still apply to private schools?

Yes. Just because a school is private does not mean it can wriggle out of providing reasonable accommodations for students who have disabilities.

Does my child qualify for an Individualized Education Program (IEP)?

All children who have a disability as defined by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) have the right to an Individualized Education Program, which is a legal document addressing the unique structures, resources and materials that students with disabilities might need to thrive in school.

Do I really need to hire a lawyer?

If your child’s teachers, school, school board or other entity continues to disregard their special education rights, your only other alternative may be the advocacy of legal counsel. We understand exactly which procedures to use and which avenues to explore to take full advantage of the rights guaranteed to you by the state for your child.

Get More Information By Contacting Us

The road ahead might seem confusing, but we can guide you and provide the explanations you need. To learn more, contact us to set up an initial consultation. You can reach our Providence office at 401-661-8287, our Wakefield office at 401-783-3600 or send us an email.